Finding something to appease my sweet tooth can be a challenge. But I try.
A quick bread pudding that can help you finish old (sometimes a couple of weeks’ old) bread.
Five slices or half a baguette
1 cup milk
few drops vanilla
a handful raisins/currants/dates
about 5 pellets /2 teaspoons artificial sweetner
1 tsp butter for coating and topping (optional)
anything for a crunchy topping – cornflakes, oats, flaxseed
* Break the bread (bite-size pieces) into the bowl you will be making the pudding in, which is coated with butter.
* Toss the raisins or any of the dried fruit with the bread.
*Dissolve the sweetner in the milk. If you are using pellets, grind them first. That will ensure that it dissolves uniformly.
* Warm the milk and then break the egg into it.
* Take it off the flame and mix it, else the egg will get scrambled.
* Pour this mixture in the bowl with the bread. Make sure all the bread is soaked with this custard.
* Bake it in a pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes.